Thursday, March 05, 2009

Developer, Engineer, or Architect?

I read an article on IEEE today that just annoyed me. The article can be found at: computer.org - careerwatch.

It is an interesting question but I don't think it was an interesting answer. One particular sentence summed it up: "Engineering is scientific, quantified, and disciplined, whereas development is random, not based on metrics, and stays away from engineering discipline." Given this definition I think that few if any people would claim to be developers. That really removes the value of the question.

At this point I use the terms programmer, developer and software engineer fairly interchangeably. I would like to see a distinction but any distinction that dismisses a group as not really knowing what they are doing is just going to lead to the term not being used.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home